Sunday, August 16, 2009

Completing the Saratoga Double

The Saratoga Double is now complete-that being my attempt to run the Fasig-Tipton 5k Road Race in Saratoga Saturday morning and than return to Saratoga to enjoy a full day of racing at the track.

The race itself was great. I finished 78th out of 239 finishers, running it in 25 minutes on the nose (25:00); with a pace of 8:03 and a place of 13th in my age group (40-49 male). Coming off a recent surgery, I was happy with the results.

It was hot but the scenic course made it a pleasant run, especially the parts on Union Avenue with a view of the grandstand side of the main track, and Fifth Avenue with a view of the Oklahoma Training Track. It was a very well run race and 4 racing charities will receive the racing proceeds. I will definitely be back to run it next year. It was neat to see all the racing related runners-other bloggers, writers, horseman, as well as the out of town runners from Florida, Canada and of course, a bunch from Kentucky. You can peruse the finishers and their hometowns here.

The runners were allowed to park in the Oklahoma Training Track parking area, and upon returning to my car after the race, I stopped for a few minutes to watch the horses in action on the training track. As the sun rose above the track I was once again reminded that there is no better place to be in the a.m than on the Oklahoma training track at Saratoga.



I later returned to Saratoga and watched a full day off long shots win at the Spa, including Telling in the Sword Dancer Stakes. My heart was with Better Talk Now, and the 10 year old warrior made a nice late move on the outside, but it was not enough as he finished 2nd to the long shot Telling.

No comments: