Sunday, September 14, 2008

Time to give the horse his due

The Associated Press describes the Big Brown win as a
..courageous front-running victory over older horses in the $500,000 Monmouth Stakes on Saturday at Monmouth Park.

I would agree. I was very impressed with Big Brown's win and the horse showed me he loves to compete and wants to win. A great horse should rise up and show us that he "wants to win" and I think Big Brown showed that yesterday. He showed me he can be the Horse of the Year, and I feel now Curlin would have to beat him in the BC Classic to take it away from him.

Remember this is a horse who got bashed after Belmont (okay maybe it was his trainer and owners-but still). Many said he would never step foot on a racetrack again. Well, he has stepped on a race track and is 2-0 since than. Watch this race again and tell me you are not impressed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best 3yo Colt or Gelding in North America, undoubtedly, is Big Brown. If not for Kent D.'s inexplicable ride in the Belmont( a similar, disturbingly bad ride again almost cost this horse The Haskell), this horse would be considered one of the all time greatest thoroughbreds. I admit, I am biased towards BB (a family member is BB's original owner, a minority owner presently), however, being fair, Zenyatta deserves a lot of consideration for Horse of the Year honors. Should Big Brown ultimatley face & defeat Curlin in the BC Classic, I believe he will take home the hardware for HOY, however, if neither Big Brown or Curlin win the Classic(or should one or both decide to skip the Classic altogether), I believe Zenyatta, if victorious in her BC foray, should be the HOY, finishing her'08 campaign undefeated while defeating the best of her generation. Go Big Brown!!

SaratogaSpa said...

Unitas-Good call on Zenyatta-would love to see her give the boys a run for the money..thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.