Excuses given by the Big Brown owners and trainer Rick Dutrow Jr as to Big Brown's failings in the Belmont:
1. Nothing-the horse was fine
2. Wait, we changed our mind- it was The bad ride of his Jockey
3. No wait-The condition of the Track surface-it was too deep
4. and this too- it was The Hot weather
5. No wait- how about The Starter
6. No wait-it was....The Loose Shoe!!
The owners and trainer's would also like to give their first (and hopefully only) excuse for skipping the Travers to run in the Haskell at Monmouth: Even though we told you before the Belmont we would next run in the Travers, we now will not, because we just found out that it gets hot in August in Saratoga. Had we known this piece of information before the Belmont we would have honestly never had said we would run the Travers...honest...we think...at least for now.