Friday, July 18, 2008

The Baby Race and Beyond

I love the 2 year old "baby" races that have popped up at Belmont, and will be run at Delmar and Saratoga. They hold much allure for me as it does for others such as teresa over at Brooklyn Backstretch

I love going up to the Spa in the summer, picking a horse in a 2 year old baby race and then following along the way-maybe a Derby or Oaks winner, maybe a Breeders Cup Juvenile racer, maybe not. I bet many races, and forget very quickly, but for some reason the names of the horses I bet in the baby races always stick with me for years later.

Today in the 3rd race at Belmont Cool the Economy , a 4 year old runs in a fillies & mares allowance for $50,000. I saw her break her maiden at Saratoga in 2006. I brought my daughter and son to the track with me and my daughter picked Cool the Economy, I placed $2 on her and won a nice payoff of $14.00 when she finished 1st.

She then raced next in the Spinaway at Saratoga, finishing 5th. She did not become a champion but is a solid horse placing in 6 races out of 10 lifetime starts. Everytime she runs, I place a small wager on her. It reminds me of that 1st Hot summer sunny day when anyone can pick a winner in a baby race and dream that they have just witnessed the beginning of something special. I remember how excited my daughter was after Cool the Economy won and I walked out of the Great Old Track that day relishing the delight we had, all for a $3 general admission ticket.

So yes, today $2.00 too Win on Cool the Econony in the 3rd at Belmont

1 comment:

SaratogaSpa said...

Cool the Economy took the early lead, took command along back stretch, led around the final turn before succumbing to the charging Are We Dreaming but the game Cool the Economy held well to hold place honors paying $3.30 to place.