Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Here comes the Sun


I had touted Western Fable, a 1st time starter in the 5th race at the Spa on Wednesday, but Double Domino (out of Pletcher's barn) and Dougie finish 1st and 2nd with Western Fable placing 4th.

A strange sighting at the track today-we made it through the entire card without any rain. After week one of seeing Saratoga become a vast wasteland of gray skies, no crowds and many declaring it dead and out we actually had a day of sunny skies at the track. As evidenced by the photo on this post, some folks actually came to the track today too. The attendance was a so-so 12,128. I don't know what the 2nd Wednesday did last year, but my guess is that it was definitely higher than 12,128.

Interestingly, I found the restaurants this past weekend in Saratoga to be packed, despite the low turnout at the track, evidence that people are spending their money somewhere, just not at the track. According to the Daily Gazzette some restaurants in Saratoga Springs had their best first week ever.

I guess we will have to get a few days in a row of sunny dry weather to see if the fans ever intend to come out in a more larger fashion.

1 comment:

Wind Gatherer said...

If this bizarre confluence of good weather and better racing keeps up, I will be forced to come out there and have a look for myself.