Sunday, June 08, 2008

Post Belmont Thoughts-Triple Crown Bid Falls


What a hot sweltering day at Belmont Park. Fist things First, from my seat in the Grandstands, Section N, I had a gret view of the final turn. It was clear that as the Da' Tara came out of the final turn that Big Brown would not be going with him. This horse just had no gas, and the acceleration BB showed in the Preakness was absent. We can now say he is a very good horse, but not a truly great horse, as he did not win the Test of Champions. He will not run as a 4 year old, so he does not even have the chance to prove he can be a great horse. Hat's off to anyone who picked Da' Tara. I looked at him and threw him out as a non factor. Speed held all day on the track and who would have thought a speed horse would win wire to wire in the Belmont?

As for the day itself at Belmont, the heat was real tough and my hats off to the ladies who had to deal with non functioning ladies rooms. When I went to the men's room before the 10th race, there were 3 women in the men's room because the lines for the ladies rooms were at least 60 deep. The crowd was under 100,000 (94,000 plus) and I think my predictions in earlier posts about bad weather (hot weather ) and the cost of gas kept the crowd down a bit. I also felt the crowd was much more up and electric in 2004 for Smarty Jones. Lets face it, Dutrow and the ownership group of Big Brown were hard to like, and I think the racing gods may have bit them yesterday. The fans were stunned but I can't say we were sadenned like we were when Smarty Jones lost in the stretch.

The photo in this post was taken on my cell phone camera of the start of the Belmont Stakes. I will post more photos from our day at the track all this week.

No comments: